United States Nuclear Power

Federal Regulations, Codes, & Standards

Users Group ©


ASME OM Code Meeting Notes - June 2003

Site Updates


Introduction

Prepared By: Ron Lippy

Company: True North Consulting

Meeting Dates: June 9, 10, & 11, 2003

Meeting Location: Phoenix, Arizona

 

Meeting Notes

The meeting was called to order by the acting Chair/Secretary Shawn Comstock. A discussion with the members present during the Chair's Remarks portion of the meeting determined that all were amenable to holding a simultaneous ISTA/ISTC meeting to improve efficiency at dispositioning the action items.

Doug Kerr, Mike Radoccia and John Kin have been dropped as members. Andre Anderson has changed roles from a utility interest to a contractor interest. Due to the change in membership and simultaneous shift in balance of interest, new membership representing utility interest was sought. Dave Chiang of SONGS was nominated and accepted by the committee. His PF-1 form is with Shannon Burke of ASME for procession of membership.

Liaison Reports: Relief Valve Subgroup - No report.

Liaison Reports: MOV Subgroup - Shawn Comstock reported that resolution of comments received under Ballot 03-0750 Revision to OMN-1 Preservice and Inservice Testing of Active Motor Operated Valves in Light Water Reactor Power Plants (ROM 03-04) progressed well throughout the morning with a discussion of highlights.

Liaison Reports: Air Operated Valve Subroup - Andre Anderson identified that moves are afoot to partner the ASME Subgroup meetings with the EPRI Air Operated Valve User's Group (AUG). Work on converting the existing standard to a non-mandatory appendix continues. The method of frequency extension is in development and is anticipated to mirror that used by Code Case OMN-1. The revisions are expected to be complete by the July 2003 timeframe for comment by the committee at large and then the issuance of a letter ballot following the 12/2003 ASME OM meeting.

Liaison Reports: Check Valve Subgroup - Ron Lippy reported that no new inquiries have been brought to the group. Work continues in several areas, highlights were the consideration of allowing disassembly to be performed on-line in the prescriptive section of the Code verses using the Condition Monitoring Appendix. Debate on matching App J frequencies with check valve test frequencies outside of the Condition Monitoring Appendix also continues. Relief from the requirements to perform bi-directional verification in certain circumstances is also under consideration by the committee.

Liaison Reports: Section XI - No report

Liaison Reports: ISTE - Shawn Comstock reported that numerous comments were written against the ISTE proposal for a risk informed IST program (about 90).

Action Items: ISTA - ROM 02-03 "Operability in ISTC-5123" - complete.

Action Items: ISTA - ROM 02-02 "Preconditioning" - withdrawn due to adequate NRC guidance.

Action Items: ISTA - ROM 01-08 "Co-ordination of Cod Case Titles" - withdrawn.

Action Items: ISTC - Incorporate OMN-1 into ISTC - on hold.

Action Items: ISTC - Address Code Case OMN-8 for inclusion in ISTC - no progress.

Action Items: ISTC Assess ISTC solenoid valves for enhancements - closed due to lack of industry interest.

Action Items: ISTC tracking ID V02-01 "Consideration of changes to address rapid acting valves" - benchmarking did not identify a pressing need for this change, but there is enough interest to maintain this as an action item. This item continues as a low priority item.

Action Items: ISTC "PIT guidance enhancement" - this action item was withdrawn at the request of Lippy. The benchmarking he was tasked with identified that industry is satisfied with the current wording and NRC guidance in this area.

Action Items: ISTA and ISTC errata. The errors in the Code identified by Lippy were organized by Emrath to ease disposition at the meeting. Each item was discussed and agreed upon or an action item was created for follow-up.

Action Items: New item V03-02 was created for coordination with the check valve subgroup for editorial changes ISTC 2 and 3 described by the Emrath editorial table. This item was dispositioned between meetings by Lippy.

Action Items: New item V03-03 was created for coordination with the Subcommittee OM Codes to determine if it was editorial. This item was dispositioned between meetings by Emrath.

New Business: Two new items were received from the OM Subcommittee. 1) A comment about repair/replacement was provided on a ballot for ISTB. The chairman of ISTB requested that the ISTA group review this issue to see if it needs to be addressed globally. This deals with the definition of repair/replacement in ASME Section XI verses its use in the OM Code. 2) The second item from the Subcommittee dealt with the proposed ISTE requirements for solenoid valves. The action item is to propose wording for determination of design basis verification in ISTE or justify exclusion from ISTE. This input is due from the ISTA/ISTC Chair by the end of July.

The Subcommittee OM Codes met on June 10. The Chairs remarks related to the use of soft skills and feedback. It was identified that at least a 4 positive to 1 negative ratio can be used throughout a project to determine if progress is being made in the correct direction. Timeliness and the over-reliance on the OM Code meetings to reach a consensus were identified as challenges for the Subcommittee. This was followed up by the described goals of the strategic plan.

Status of the action items, membership and Code Case status under each Subgroup Committee was provided by the Subgroup chairs. Several items were discussed and voted upon. Inquiry OMI 03-01 (submitted by Point Beach) from the relief valve subgroup was discussed, revised and consensus was achieved. Essentially, the Inquiry applies to the test interval prior to initial power generation and the shelf life issue. A presentation relating to the incorporation of diesel generator testing and its implementation into the OM Code as a mandatory appendix was described by Tim Chan. Shawn Comstock provided the history behind OMN-1 incorporation into the Code and presented 4 options for its potential future following the successful revision of OMN-1. The temperature correlation position paper presented by the Pressure Relief Device Users Group (PRDUG) was discussed. The NRC presented status on items of interest to the OM Committee. Gil Zigler presented the proposed 10 CFR 50.69 BNCS Risk Management Task Force response to the NRC with respect to the ASME OM Committee position on these changes.

The Main OM Committee meeting was held on June 11. All items of interest represented by the ISTA or ISTC Subgroup that were discussed at the Main Committee meeting are described above. An action item was accepted to gage the use of Code Cases and inquiries at the IST Engineer User's Group meetings on June 12-13.

The IST/App J User's Group Meeting started on June 11 and focused on Appendix J testing. Steve Lowe attended this portion of the meeting. June 12 and 13 focused primarily on the implementation of IST. This meeting was beneficial in that it clearly identified a need for this type of forum and additionally the need for improved interaction between sites. Challenges with equipment and programmatic issues were described openly and candidly at this meeting. It was evident that everyone in attendance had some degree of knowledge and on the job experience that benefited other sites on June 12. The June 13 meetings wrapped up by attempting to define what this group will be in the future. It was unanimously agreed upon by all participants that this was beneficial and should be continued in the future. It was also the consensus of the group that Appendix J and IST User's Group meetings should be separated in the future due to differences in focus.

Both meetings were quite beneficial in terms of improving my personal knowledge and skills necessary to successfully implement an Inservice Testing Program. Wolf Creek is ahead of most plants in terms of the application of Codes that are beneficial to safety and/or economics with our application of Check Valve Condition Monitoring and Code Case OMN-1. The insights and lessons learned will enable me to better guide WCNOC in the day-to-day program management of the IST Program and the 10 CFR 50.55a update which will begin the third quarter of 2004.

*** The issue involving performance of check valve disassembly and inspection at times other than during an RFO were discussed. The OM-22 working group has undertaken the initiative to write a Code Case which will provide the guidance and basis for allowing performance of disassembly and inspection at Modes other than Mode 6 (Refueling). Key supporting documents include Maintenance Rule, PRA/PSA risk factors, online maintenance programs, etc. Currently the only other regulatory avenue for doing this activity during plant operation is to obtain a Relief Request (RR) from the NRC which a number of plants have been successful in doing {see attached 5/5/03 Limerick Station NRC approved RR}. John Scranton of Fitzpatrick said they have an approved RR. Recently Fort Calhoun was not successful in getting their RR submittal approved.

*** Check valve condition monitoring programs and their benefits were discussed in length by various attendees. OM-22 committee was considering a recommendation that would eliminate the prescriptive requirements contained in OM-22 and ISTC but decided against doing so. Uncertainty about plants operating passed their original license term (why migrate to something having significant implementation costs when the plant may not operate more than 10 years) combined with the feeling that since the prescriptive portions of these documents have been recently updated and enhanced comprised the two determining factors in not making the recommendation.

*** Ron Lippy, ASME Code Committee member, discussed latest ASME initiatives which include:

1) ISTA- changes involving dropping preconditioning task, reaffirming existing code case, errata/corrections

2) ISTB- new project task group formed to explore new test methods, Group A test flow rate being conducted @+/- 20 % of design and it’s impact upon performance of comprehensive pump test

3) ISTC- potential new rapid acting stroke time criteria for AOV’s (5 seconds), use of previous test data to facilitate check valve test interval extension in CVCM space, check valve disassembly during plant operation

4) OM1-Temperature correlation issue, shelf life issue (test interval)

5) Emergency Diesels-working on new Code for E D/G testing with all Owner’s groups being represented

6) 2001 edition of Code with 2002 and or 2003 addenda planned to be issued late 2003

7) List of approved Code cases to be issued late 2003

8) Reminder about NRC/ASME Valve & Pump symposium scheduled for 7/12-7/14/04 in Washington, DC

The next OM Meeting will be December 2-4, 2003 in St. Petersburg Beach, Florida.


Home Page

 

Copyright Disclosure