Federal Regulations, Codes, & Standards
Users Group ©
ASME Section XI Meeting Notes – November 2005
Company: Progress Energy
Meeting Dates: October 31 – November 3, 2005
1. Next Section
XI meeting is in
2. NRC Report
Reg. Guide 1.147 (Revision 14) was published on
· Draft Revision 15 to Reg. Guide 1.147 is nearly complete. The guide addresses Code Cases in Supplement 7 of 2001 Edition through Supplement 1 to the 2004 Edition. This draft guide will be published for public comment in first quarter of 2006.
· The NRC has completed the technical bases for the amendment to 10 CFR 50.55a to endorse the 2004 Edition. No schedule has been released for publication date of the proposed rule.
3. The Code Cases will no longer have expiration dates. The Executive Committee is looking at new rules for managing Code Cases.
Code Committee Protocol
A quick lesson on code committee protocol is provided. Typically, a code item starts at Task Group (TG) level and must work its’ way through BNCS before it gets published. Here is the pecking order.
TG – Task Group
WG – Working Group
SG – Subgroup
SC XI – Subcommittee Section XI
MC – Standards Committee (Items can still pass with 3 negative votes if it’s a “second consideration” vote.)
BNCS – Board of Nuclear Codes and Standards
Some popular “Groups”;
TG on Alloy 600
TG on Boric Acid Corrosion
WGISIO – ISI Optimization
WGISC – Inspection of Systems and Components
WGRBI – Risk Based Inspection
WGPT – Pressure Test
WGIWE/IWL – Containment
WGGR – General Requirements
SGWCS – Water Cooled Systems
SGNDE – Nondestructive Evaluation
SGRRM – Repair, Replacement, and Modifications
SGES – Evaluations and Standards
SCXI – Subcommittee Section XI
Code Committee Items
1. A proposed Code Case on Alternative Examination
Requirements for BWR RPV Shell Welds (BWR VIP-05) was brought up for
discussion, again. This item was
tabled for several years until a White Paper could be developed. The item received minor editorial comments
2. A proposed Code Case on Alternative
Examination Requirements for Vessels with Wall Thickness 2 Inches or
Less. The Code Case is different from
N-435. This Code Case uses susceptibility
criteria to determine what examination requirements are appropriate. It requires Appendix VIII when performing
UT. NRC representative on the
3. A proposed Code Case (N-747) and code change to eliminate surface and volumetric examination requirement on RPV head to flange weld. VT-1 exam each inspection period will replace the surface and volumetric exams. Passed SCXI. Goes to Standards Committee for letter ballot.
4. A proposed Code Case and change to eliminate Category B-M-1 valve body weld examination. At WGISC to resolve comments from December meeting.
5. A proposed code action to eliminate IRS on Class 2 branch connections. This action is to eliminate the IRS from figure IWC-2500-4(c). Will seek input from SGNDE before further discussion and vote.
6. Proposed code action to eliminate Inspection Program A from the Code. Checking with the European community before taking any action. Still @WGISC.
7. Proposed Code Case N-734 on Examination
Requirements for Portion of Class 1 and 2 Systems and Components within the
Containment System Boundary and proposed code change. Clarifies which welds fall under Class 1/2
or MC rules. Passed
8. Proposed Code Case N-735 to eliminate the
requirement to perform successive examinations on flaws that are not service
induced. The SGE&S did not want
this Code Case used for piping susceptible to SCC. Concern was addressed. Passed
9. Intent Inquiry and code change to allow an inspection period to be reduced or extended by as much as one year for reasons other than to enable an inspection to coincide with a plant outage. No report. @WGISC.
10. Proposed Code Case (N-711) using risk insights to determine the minimum required examination coverage for Class 1 and 2 piping welds. Addressed Standard Committee negatives, and reaffirmed at SGWCS. Passed Standards Committee on 2nd consideration.
11. Proposed Code Case (N-706) to perform visual examination of Regenerative and Residual Heat Exchanger in lieu of volumetric and surface examination. Very good code change for those of you who can not exempt these heat exchangers due to size and Code class. Passed BNCS, and will be published.
12. Code change to clarify using Gross Structural Discontinuity in selecting ISI welds. The definition of Gross Structural Discontinuity per Section III will no longer be used for ISI weld selection. The selection will be based solely on stress. Item passed Standards Committee. Passed BNCS.
13. Revision to Code Case N-522. Currently this code case allows Appendix J testing in lieu of the rules in Table IWC-2500-1, Category C-H. This revision extends this alternative to repair/replacement pressure testing. Passed SCXI. Out for Standard Committee letter ballot.
Note: To expedite the Code Inquiry process, all inquiries must be received by the ASME office (Ryan Crane, Secretary) two weeks prior to the Code meeting.
The following Requirement Inquires were approved. (Note: Occasionally, Requirement Inquires goes to SCXI because the inquiry did not get a unanimous vote at the Inquiry Session)
Does IWA-4000, address mechanically installed exchanger tube plug
Does IWA-4000 address Class 2 and 3 mechanically installed heat
exchanger tubes plug assemblies?
The following Intent Inquiry was approved by SCXI. (Note 1: Intent Inquires require approval of SCXI members, and need accompanying code change.)
1. Q: Is it the intent of IWA-4120 to exempt
material associated with Class 1 heat exchanger tube plug assemblies?