United States Nuclear Power

Federal Regulations, Codes, & Standards

Users Group


ASME Section XI Meeting Notes (Working Group on Containment) May 2009

Site Updates


Introduction

Prepared By: Steve Brown, P.E.

Company: Entergy Services Incorporated

Meeting Date: May 12, 2009

Meeting Location: San Diego, California

Meeting Notes

Recurring Items

 

1.      CR-1 Members. Attendance was low but judged by the chair to be adequate for voting on meeting minutes and on the steps to address imprecise wording. Members present:

a.      Jim Staffiera

b.      Henry Stephens

c.      Ron Hough

d.      Steve Brown

e.      Frank Gregor (alt. for Howard Hill)

f.        Visitor Partha Ghosal

2.      CR-2 Motion made and seconded to approve minutes. Minutes appoved.

3.      CR-3 Announcements and NRC Report

a.      NRC rep not present therefore no NRC report.

b.      Frank Gregor reported that SWG NPAM was informed that WG ISIO was working on rules for supports for containment. This was not discussed in the previous days ISIO meeting, but it may be on the agenda and should be followed up on.

c.      Other items of interest from the SWG NPAM were reported to include general discussion of a plant that "dropped a tendon" due to poor work control.

d.      SWG NPAM is looking at four initial major concerns for aging management,

                                                  i.      Reactor Vessel Internals

                                                ii.      Cables (medium voltage)

                                              iii.      Buried Pipe and Tanks

                                               iv.      Concrete concern includes basemats and shield walls around the vessel. For the shield walls, neutron bombardment tends to dehydrate the concrete and there are high thermal cycles. What effect does this have on the long term life of the concrete? Buried concrete has concerns with ground water intrusion and chemical composition of the ground water. Other concrete has similar chemical exposure issues. These are seen as potential issues beyond 60 years.

e.      SWG NPAM also discussed an emerging issue is aging management of Boral for fuel pools. Boral is used as a neutron absorber in the fuel pools beyond 60 years. Much of the Boral has been replaced with Boraflex.

f.        SWG NPAM Environmental reports credited Yucca Mountain. This may need to be relooked at with the political situation.

g.      EPRI reported from the NRC reports that Beaver Valley had through wall corrosion on the containment liner. The cause was wood left in place next to the liner in construction. The indication was once again a blister in the coating. Discussion ensued on potential access to the dome.

4.      CR-4 Membership

a.      Jim Staffiera moved from Utility to General.

b.      Discussion to remove several inactive members ensued. Jim to follow up on Krishnaswamy, Frank to follow up on Robert Cox, and Henry to follow up on Jerry Crider.

5.      CR-5 Meeting Schedule The schedule was reviewed.

6.      CR-6 Closed combined with reports.

7.      CR-7 New Business There was no new business brought up from the table. However there are new items in the agenda (parts II and III) that were proposed between meetings to be addressed.

8.      CR-8 Approved Items tracking for publication will be discussed under Technical Items.

9.      CR-9 Inactive no inactive items

10. CR-10 Code Cases and Inquires.

a.      The Charles Ross inquiry, BC 05-143, shows closed in CS Connects.

b.      The Doug Henry inquiry on design for action has been moved to Section III.

11. CR-11 Commentaries Latest approved IWE commentary posted on www.usnrc.org/Commentaries, but IWL is still the old rev.

 

Technical Items

 

Discussed the technical items in part II. Items of note include:

1.      New item to get acceptance criteria for moisture barrier. The issue is the need to develop acceptance criteria for moisture barriers or a means to allow evaluation to be used to accept moisture barrier degradation for a cycle, etc. Currently IWE 3512 requires that moisture barriers are repaired if found unacceptable. Steve Brown agreed to follow up with Jerry Crider to see if actions are prepared and accept ownership of the item if Jerry is no longer active with WG Containment.

2.      IN 06-14 is the Doug Henry inquiry reference the design for access. This action is now in Section III's house.

3.      IWL Commentary Rev 3 has been approved. Henry Stephens to follow

4.      BC 08-1125 IWE Ambiguous Wording

a.      An action item will be opened to evaluate the wording in IWE 3511 and IWL 3111 per J Keenan comment on ballot 09-246. Initial thought is to change IWL 3111 to match IWE 3511. Henry Stephens volunteered to be the project manager for this change.

b.      Henry Stephens to address negatives and reaffirm.

5.      BC 08-1126 IWL Ambiguous Wording

a.      Henry Stephens will provide responses to negative comments at Section XI related to IWL-2220.2, IWL-2230, IWL-4180 and IWL-4220.

b.      Changes were made to the wording in IWL-2510(a) to reflect wording suggested by Mr. Yonekawa.

c.      Changes were made to the wording on IWL-5210 in response to negative comments at Section XI.

6.      Ron Hough to open a new items on C&S Connects dealing with the following:

a.      Rules for New Plants on Grouted Tendons.

b.      Revision to IWL-3221.1(b) to reflect influence of lower limit requirements. (Reference IN-07-03)

7.      Ron Hough provided a brief on the obstacles to effective NDE of grouted tendons in containment and discussed the methods used in Europe to "test" grouted tendons. There are significant challenges with ensuring long term viability of grouted tendons for containment buildings. Ron provided papers of international experience with grouted tendons in containment in the agenda to allow technical discussion. Bottom line, while there are challenges with greased tendons, there are very significant challenges with grouted tendons.

8. Jim Staffiera volunteered to be project on 10CFR50.55a for limitations.


Home Page

 

Copyright Disclosure