Federal Regulations, Codes, & Standards
Users Group ©
ASME Section XI Meeting Notes (Working Group on Containment) – May 2009
Company: Entergy Services Incorporated
Meeting Date: May 12, 2009
1. CR-1 Members. Attendance was low but judged by the chair to be adequate for voting on meeting minutes and on the steps to address imprecise wording. Members present:
b. Henry Stephens
c. Ron Hough
d. Steve Brown
e. Frank Gregor
f. Visitor Partha Ghosal
2. CR-2 Motion made and seconded to approve minutes. Minutes appoved.
3. CR-3 Announcements and NRC Report
a. NRC rep not present – therefore no NRC report.
b. Frank Gregor reported that SWG NPAM was informed that WG ISIO was working on rules for supports for containment. This was not discussed in the previous days ISIO meeting, but it may be on the agenda and should be followed up on.
c. Other items of interest from the SWG NPAM were reported to include general discussion of a plant that "dropped a tendon" due to poor work control.
d. SWG NPAM is looking at four initial major concerns for aging management,
i. Reactor Vessel Internals
ii. Cables (medium voltage)
iii. Buried Pipe and Tanks
iv. Concrete – concern includes basemats and shield walls around the vessel. For the shield walls, neutron bombardment tends to dehydrate the concrete and there are high thermal cycles. What effect does this have on the long term life of the concrete? Buried concrete has concerns with ground water intrusion and chemical composition of the ground water. Other concrete has similar chemical exposure issues. These are seen as potential issues beyond 60 years.
e. SWG NPAM also discussed an emerging issue is aging management of Boral for fuel pools. Boral is used as a neutron absorber in the fuel pools beyond 60 years. Much of the Boral has been replaced with Boraflex.
SWG NPAM Environmental reports credited
reported from the NRC reports that
4. CR-4 Membership
to remove several inactive members ensued.
Jim to follow up on Krishnaswamy, Frank to follow up on Robert Cox,
and Henry to follow up on
5. CR-5 Meeting Schedule – The schedule was reviewed.
6. CR-6 Closed – combined with reports.
Business – There was no new business
brought up from the table. However
there are new items in the agenda (parts II and
8. CR-8 Approved Items tracking for publication will be discussed under Technical Items.
9. CR-9 Inactive – no inactive items
10. CR-10 Code Cases and Inquires.
a. The Charles Ross inquiry, BC 05-143, shows closed in CS Connects.
b. The Doug
Henry inquiry on design for action has been moved to Section
11. CR-11 Commentaries – Latest approved IWE commentary posted on www.usnrc.org/Commentaries, but IWL is still the old rev.
Discussed the technical items in part II. Items of note include:
1. New item to
get acceptance criteria for moisture barrier.
The issue is the need to develop acceptance criteria for moisture
barriers or a means to allow evaluation to be used to accept moisture barrier
degradation for a cycle, etc.
Currently IWE 3512 requires that moisture barriers are repaired if
found unacceptable. Steve Brown agreed
to follow up with
2. IN 06-14 is
the Doug Henry inquiry reference the design for access. This action is now in Section
3. IWL Commentary Rev 3 has been approved. Henry Stephens to follow
4. BC 08-1125 – IWE Ambiguous Wording
a. An action item will be opened to evaluate the wording in IWE 3511 and IWL 3111 per J Keenan comment on ballot 09-246. Initial thought is to change IWL 3111 to match IWE 3511. Henry Stephens volunteered to be the project manager for this change.
b. Henry Stephens to address negatives and reaffirm.
5. BC 08-1126 – IWL Ambiguous Wording
a. Henry Stephens will provide responses to negative comments at Section XI related to IWL-2220.2, IWL-2230, IWL-4180 and IWL-4220.
b. Changes were made to the wording in IWL-2510(a) to reflect wording suggested by Mr. Yonekawa.
c. Changes were made to the wording on IWL-5210 in response to negative comments at Section XI.
6. Ron Hough to open a new items on C&S Connects dealing with the following:
a. Rules for New Plants on Grouted Tendons.
b. Revision to IWL-3221.1(b) to reflect influence of lower limit requirements. (Reference IN-07-03)
7. Ron Hough
provided a brief on the obstacles to effective